Invasive Pulmonary Procedures
Procedures taught include:
- Bronchoscopy with bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) and endobrochial biopsy
- Bronchoscopy with transbronchial biopsy
- Transbronchial needle aspiration
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) bronchoscopy
- Percutaneous tracheostomy
- Pleur-X catheter placement
- Pigtail catheter placement
- Medical thorocoscopy
- Ultrasound-guided procedures
Medical Intensive Care
Every admission to the intensive care unit is approved and managed by a fellow. Fellows also approve all non-invasive positive pressure ventilation orders throughout the hospital. They are intimately involved in reviewing and critiquing all mortalities that occur in the medical intensive care unit.
Respiratory Care Unit
The fellows carry out daily teaching rounds and manage all patients on the respiratory care unit, including chronically vented patients with other medical comorbidities. Ventilator management is the primary focus in the respiratory care unit.
Fellows are actively involved in the evaluation of patients in the Emergency Department for admission to the ICU or Chronic Ventilator Unit.
An active weekly board review is held covering both pulmonary and critical care topics.
Quality Improvement/Safety Initiatives
The fellows are actively involved with hospital-wide quality improvement projects.
Conferences and Grand Rounds
Application and Contact Information