Conference and Grand Rounds Information
One of the strengths of the Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine Division, is the daily conferences that are conducted in accordance with the recommendations of the ACGME for the training program. The content and level of discussion takes into the consideration the participation and attendance of pulmonary fellows, and draws on the resources of a large faculty of full-time attending physicians, as well as voluntary attending physicians in private practice. The conferences are structured to encompass all aspects of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine. This is accomplished with the use of a monthly template of topics and conferences that are developed by the fellows under the guidance of the program director and associate program director. Weekly discussions about the quality of the conferences results in occasional modifications of the topics and format. Cases take into consideration a series of didactic lectures from the core curriculum.
- Weill-Cornell Combined Conferences: The pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine fellows and attending physicians participate in the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill-Cornell Medical Center inter-hospital monthly conference. Interesting cases from New York Methodist Hospital are discussed with colleagues from the Weill-Cornell Medical Center, New York Hospital of Queens and NewYork Presbyterian/Downtown Hospital.
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center: The fellows attend an infectious diseases conference where interesting and difficult to diagnose cases are discussed. This conference is held on a weekly basis. The fellows from New York Methodist Hospital present an interesting Infectious Disease case at one conference each month.
Each fellow attends at last one major national meeting per year. Opportunities to present research at these meetings are available if an abstract is accepted or as part of one of the faculty members involvement with the sponsoring organization. Below is a list of the major national meetings attended by our fellows:
- American College of Chest Physicians, Pulmonary Board Review -August (third year fellows)
- American College of Chest Physicians Annual Meeting -October
- Society of Critical Care Medicine -February
- American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting -May
Grand Rounds Visiting Professors
Each year, nationally and internationally renowned experts in the fields of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine are invited to come to New York Methodist Hospital as Grand Rounds speakers and visiting professors. These speakers routinely spend the entire day with the division, giving multiple presentations, and sometimes participating in procedures.
Recent visiting professors have included Joseph T. Cooke, M.D., chief of pulmonary & critical care medicine and chief quality & patient safety officer at Weill Cornell Medical College/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital; Col Lisa Moores, M.D., F.C.C.P., assistant dean for clinical sciences, The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and attending physician in pulmonary and critical care medicine, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC and Gerard Silvestri M.D., F.C.C.P., professor of pulmonary and critical care medicine, Medical University of South Carolina.
Application and Contact Information