What to Expect the Day of Surgery
What to Expect the Day of Your Surgery
Please arrive on time for your procedure so that other patients will not be delayed.
After you are registered, you will be escorted to a waiting area where you will be given a hospital gown, robe and slippers. After you have changed, a registered nurse will assist you if you need any help. Members of the anesthesia team and the surgical team will speak with you and answer any questions you may have.
In the Operating Room
Your surgeon leads the Operating Room team. Other team members usually include nurses, an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist, and a surgical assistant. Together, they provide a sterile and safe surgical environment.
After your surgery, you will be taken to the recovery room, or the Ambulatory Surgery post anesthesia care unit (PACU). Here you will be closely monitored until you wake up. The PACU nurses will take care of all your needs and make sure you are comfortable. Once you are awake, you will either be discharged home or transferred to a room in the Hospital until you are well enough to go home.
Before arriving at NYM for your procedure, please:
- Complete the Pre-Surgical Testing form Save it to your computer
- Then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you're not able to save and email the document, just print it out and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Fill out the Pre-Admission form and hit "Submit" to send it directly to us
- If you have questions completing either form, call 718.780.5060.
Download a copy of our Pre-Surgical Testing Checklist so you don't forget a thing.
Download a copy of our Surgery Brochure.
Learn more about:
Preparing for Surgery
Instructions and What to Bring With You