Surgical Weight Reduction Program
NYM's Surgical Weight Reduction Program provides treatment for severely obese patients who have not been able to achieve weight loss through non-surgical means. NYM is recognized by the American Society of Bariatric Surgery as a "Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence."
The Center's team of specialists includes surgeons specializing in weight reduction surgery as well as endocrinologists, nutritionists, physiologists, and clinical social workers.
An individual may be a candidate for surgical weight reduction if he or she:
- has body mass index (BMI) of at least 35 (about 100 pounds above ideal body weight).
- has repeatedly attempted to lose weight through dieting but has not been successful.
- is highly motivated to lose weight.
- is willing to change current eating habits.
- is between the ages of 18 and 68.
Surgical weight reduction is major surgery that results in progressive, long-term weight loss in the majority of morbidly obese patients.
Find a surgeon specializing in bariatric surgery or call 1-866-DOCS-14U (1-866-362-7148).
Insurance Coverage for Surgery
- Patients considering surgical weight reduction are encouraged to plan ahead by investigating their health insurance coverage. For questions regarding insurance coverage of surgical weight reduction, call NYM's Surgical Weight Reduction Center at 718.780.3288.
Support Groups and Information Seminars
- We host surgical weight reduction support groups which meet every month at the Hospital.
- We offer information seminars which takes place immediately following the support group meetings and at the same location. For more information, follow the link above or call 718.780.3288.