Back To Main Page
The Institute for Vascular Medicine and Surgery
The Institute for Vascular Medicine and Surgery at New York Methodist Hospital has a team of specialists and services that offer a full range of diagnostic procedures and treatments for vascular disease (clogging and hardening of blood vessels) including heart attack and stroke.
Vascular disease refers to the hardening of blood vessels, primarily arteries and veins. Generally, a blood vessel hardens because of a clogging build-up of plaque that can eventually block or impair the blood flow through the blood vessel to or from the organs and limbs of the body. Unfortunately, plaque build-up is cumulative and, for that reason, vascular disease is common in people over sixty. People who smoke, have diabetes, or have high blood pressure are also at risk. Also unfortunately, accumulation of plaque can impair blood flow in virtually any part of the body and put the body at risk. Some of the more common vascular diseases are listed below:
- Cardiovascular Disease (hardening of blood vessels to or from the heart with risk of heart attack)
- Cerebrovascular Disease (hardening of blood vessels to or from the brain with risk of stroke)
- Renovascular Disease (hardening of blood vessels to or from the kidneys with risk of kidney failure)
- Peripheral Extremity Arterial Occlusive Disease (other clogging and hardening of arteries that blocks blood circulation with risks that include gangrened or lost limbs as well as dangerous ballooning of the body's main artery, called "abdominal aortic aneurysm")
- Diseases of the Veins (including varicose veins, spider veins, and leg ulcers, all of which are caused by problems of blood circulation)
- It is very important that anyone with reason to believe they may have or be at risk for any kind of vascular disease consult a physician as soon as possible. It is crucial that anyone experiencing or observing signs of heart attack or stroke call 9-1-1 immediately and without delay.
Because vascular disease is a common cause of death or disability in people over the age of sixty, providing easily accessible and comprehensive prevention, diagnosis, and treatment is a priority for New York Methodist Hospital.
The Institute's team includes specialists in vascular surgery (surgery related to blood flow), neurosurgery (surgery related to the brain and nervous system), radiology (imaging technology), and neurology (medicine related to the brain and nervous system). Our state-of-the-art, on-campus Vascular Laboratory is accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission. Because of the close relationship between vascular disease and cardiac (heart) disease, physicians affiliated with the Institute for Vascular Medicine and Surgery work closely with physicians affiliated with NYM's Institute for Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery.
Find a physician affiliated with this Institute for Vascular Medicine and Surgery or call 866.438.VEIN (866.438.8346).
Download the Institute's Brochure or request that a brochure be mailed to you.
To request educational speakers or other community participation from NYM relating to the Institute for Vascular Medicine and Surgery, or for more information, please visit the relevant Community Education and Programs pages and then contact the Department of Public Affairs with your request or inquiry.
Vascular Medicine and Surgery Programs
NYM's Stroke Center offers rapid evaluation of stroke patients and advanced treatments that can reverse damage
The Vascular Laboratory offers patients high quality, painless diagnostic studies and provides referring
Vascular surgery includes a range of procedures to relieve the effects of blocked blood vessels.
Other Vascular Medicine and Surgery Services
Are you searching for a specific medical condition or a treatment by name? You can find many services offered by the New York Methodist Hospital by clicking
on the first letter of the keyword or browse the entire list by clicking on the button below. If there is a service of interest that is not listed,
please send us feedback by clicking on the tab below. NYM is dedicated to excellence in service for our communities, both onsite and online.